Thursday, January 15, 2009

Please Critique My "Dump Blog"

I'm playing around with a new look for my normal blog (A Penchant for Pens). I took Bethany's suggestion to create a "dump blog" for experimenting with the layout so as not to risk losing old stuff. I have used this template from the site Jessi recommended, Cutest Blog on the Block. By trial and error, this has been easier-- less trial, fewer errors-- than I imagined. Thanks, all, for your encouragement.

Please give me feedback on the design. You don't have to be artsy or design-oriented to give your opinion. You just have to be a reader to say what does and doesn't work visually for you.

So, what do you like and dislike about this template? I didn't create the template, so it won't hurt my feelings! Tell me about font sizes, color, arrangements, margin width, anything/ everything. I'm collecting a miscellany of opinions. Hence the title of the blog.

Obviously some things can't be changed, but most can.
I will take all comments into consideration and play around more as I make time for it.

I like change often, maybe monthly. This template I hope to debut Feb. 1.

I'll add your link to my blogroll as I receive comments.

11 comments:

  1. ok.. i really like the background color and design of this template. I can't stand white type. too hard to read. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very inviting and comfortable on the eyes. The fabric texture background reminds me of an old and pleasingly fragrant oak chest filled with personal treasures not meant to be locked away and forgotten, but to take out of their secret place to reminisce and talk about. "Oh look! There is that pretty pen I've always had a penchant for! How could I have forgotten it? I must take it out and use it!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah I forgot to sign Laurie Lynn...I changed my profile name so I hopefully won't have to think about it again!
    And in case you didn't catch the sentiment in my first comment above:
    I like it.
    I love it!
    I want some more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a way to make the typeset a bit larger and bolder? ok, maybe now i am just getting persnickety (sp?)
    <3 Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the colors and the sidebar design, but not a huge fan of the words going over the texture. It makes it hard for me to read. I wonder if there's a way to keep the designs on the side and then have a solid color background for where your posts are in that soft pink color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops, that was me above!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tbanks for the comments, everyone. All are appreciated.

    Let me reply one by one:

    Laurie Lynn, I think you put more effort into your comment than I did in estsablishing the experimental redesign. Cracks me up. I agree about the sentimental look this texture exudes.

    Karen, a larger font for you.

    Amy and Danielle, I agree about it being hard to read text over texture. No matter what I try w/ color or size, it's still hard to read. I tried to delete the midsection and keep only the pretty sides, but it's all or nothing, from what I can tell. (Tried to change background color; it can't be changed.)

    I think I'll hunt for something else. I'm a bit disappointed, but Amy's right: if it ain't easy to read, it's frustrating to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally, in terms of text over texture, this one doesn't bother me as much as most, I think because the background texture is a little more subtle. I do prefer the softer colors of this template though...much easier on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I have now dumped the textured background and am on the hunt for something easier to read. I am definitely not liking this louder pink. A rusty pink was fine, but I'm picky about pinks. Some days I don't like it at all.

    I've seen other templates but some are way too simple or way too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a blog I do that with too, though I don't have it public. I've been trying out different templates to see what I like. I like the 3 columns so things don't looks some jammed together; but haven't yet picked on. I keep weeding out some, so guess that's sorta progress.

    I'm thinking this bright pink isn't what you were testing as I read comments about texture. this is very plain and bright, and some of the comments are old, so perhaps you're not using this anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The name of your blog is soooooo familiar. Bet, if you're able to go back and look, I've been here before. I hit your first blog, but noticed it was 2011, and this one is 2009. So, not sure where the one with a-z is?

    ReplyDelete